Practice Areas

Child Custody

When it comes to divorce and separation, no issue is quite as emotionally tinged as child custody. When parents are facing the question of who will care for and support their children, they need the help of a skilled lawyer to ensure that not only are their rights as parents protected, but also, and most importantly, their children's best interests are protected. For parents in San Jose, the Law Office of Tracie T. Kogura provides the voice of experience and compassion during the challenge of a child custody case.

Child Support

California law stipulates that both parents must provide their children with financial and emotional support. However, the means of dividing that support may differ from one couple to the next. Sorting through this division of support can be complicated, especially when differences in income and parenting time are taken into account. While the custodial parent generally receives child support payments from the non-custodial parent, other arrangements may prove necessary. Regardless of your preferences regarding child custody and support, you can count on Tracie Kogura for exceptional legal counsel and representation.

Divorce, Property Division & Spousal Support

With divorce, there’s often a lot of matters to be decided between the spouses. Child custody, property division and spousal support are just a few of the issues. It’s not uncommon for soon-to-be-ex’s to disagree on the issues. While a trial at family court is an option, there are other options that are less costly, contentious and time consuming. Mediation and collaborative divorce are non-adversarial resolution methods. In the mediation process, a series of meetings are held, which are led by a neutral third-party facilitator. This individual helps couples identify, discuss and resolve disagreements. In a collaborative divorce, both party’s attorneys work amicably together to achieve an agreed settlement. Attorney Tracie T. Kogura is experienced in mediation, collaborative divorce and divorce trials. Her goal is to represent the best interests of her clients and their families.


Paternity is the legal acknowledgement of the parental relationship between a child and the father. In the case of a dispute over who is the biological father of a child, the father, mother or any party in interest can ask the court for a determination. A lawsuit can be filed by the states or by a private party. Often, a private action is brought by the mother seeking child support. The individual named in the paternity suit is called the putative father. The putative father can either consent to the paternity judgment or contest the action.

Post-judgment motions

Winning your civil case against another party, and being awarded the financial settlement you deserve by the courts is a good feeling. It is also a good feeling to be exonerated by the court from financial responsibility when someone brings a case against you. While persuading the judge to your side, and getting a judgment in your favor by the court, is a relief, though, the case isn't necessarily over as soon as that judgment is rendered. Either party has the legal right to make a post-judgment motion to the court, which can hold up payment of a judgment, or be used to overturn the judge's decision.

Ratings and Reviews